At the beginning of every school year I ask my Kindergarten kids, “What is a friend?” I get a wide variety of answers that can include a lot of specifics.
It all shakes out to this, friends are people they like to play with.
Discussing friendship doesn’t begin and end during our first week of school together. It is a year-long discussion that includes being a friend to others and being a friend to oneself.
There are hundreds of great books about friendship and I would love to list all of the ones we read and discuss. But, there’s just not enough room in this post. So, I’ll recommend a few that point to specific friendship themes.
- Do You Want to Be My Friend? (Eric Carle)
- Groundhog’s Runaway Shadow (David Biedrzycki)
- Peanut Butter and Cupcake (Terry Border)
- The Grizzly Bear Who Lost His Grrrrr! (Rob Biddulph)
Friendship Is More Powerful Than Differences
- Croc and Ally Friends Forever (Derek Anderson)
- Piranhas Don’t Eat Bananas (Aaron Blabey)
- Ribbit! (Rodrigo Folgueira/Poly Bernatene)
- The Great Sandwich Swap (Kelly DiPucchio/Tricia Tusa)
Friends Are Always There For You
- Friends Stick Together (Hannah E. Harrison)
- Maddi’s Fridge (Lois Brandt/Vin Vogel)
- Squirrel’s Busy Day (Lucy Barnard)
- Tiny and the Big Dig (Sherri Duskey Rinker/Matt Myers)
Sharing With Friends
- Love Monster and the Last Chocolate (Rachel Bright)
- Maisy Makes Gingerbread (Lucy Cousins)
- That’s (Not) Mine (Anna Kang/Christopher Weyant)
- The Squirrels Who Squabbled (Rachel Bright)
- Boy + Bot (Ame Dyckman/Dan Yaccarino)
- Goodnight. Already! (John Jory/Benji Davies)
- Mice on Ice (Rebecca Emberley/Ed Emberley)
- Pine & Boof: The Lucky Leaf (Ross Burach)
- Angus All Aglow (Heather Smith/Alice Carter)
- Extraordinary Jane (Hannah E. Harrison)
- Hello, My Name is Octicorn (Kevin Diller & Justin Lowe/Binny Talib)
- Thelma the Unicorn (Aaron Blabey)
How will you celebrate International Friendship Day? I’m making a point to let my friends know how much they mean to me.
Next year, I’m throwing a Friendship Party. I hope you’ll come!
Until then, Happy International Friendship Day!